Monday, May 12, 2008

The Himalayan Cafe

Tibetan and Nepalese Restaurant




I have wanted to return to this restaurant for over five years but hadn't gotten around to it until a few Saturdays ago when Sanj and I went with my bro and his girl, Hannah. I can't wait to go back again because the food was delicious, the atmosphere excellent and the price was great!

We didn't book early enough to get seating in the back section (which is the cool section with great decor and cool seats from what I remember) but out the front was still fantastic. We arrived for a 7.30pm seating and the place was packed. After finding our seats (with cushions - i always love a cushion or two).... we set about ordering. I was delighted to have so many vegetarian options to choose from and we also settled on a few breads to share!

The breads were excellent and we also ordered a dip to come with it - sooo yumm!! The name of the dip escapes me but it was wonderful.... so very worth remembering.. (oh well!) And as luck would have it I have a menu here and it's no wonder I forgot the name of it... it's called "Traditional Dipping Sauce for Bread" ... straight to the point.... and yum yum yum :)

For the main I had the Organic Tofu Curry for $13.95 which was sweet and very fudilishus!!! Sanj had the Nupalya Sayala for $17.00 a mixture of beef and hot himalayan spices. and Sam and Hannah had a selection of meaty dishes that they shared and enjoyed...



Nepaya Khayala

After this first visit it was less than two weeks ago that Sanj and I returned on a weeknight and had yummier dishes than our previous visit. Sanj had the Nepaya Khayala for $17,95, a chicken dish of mixed spices and a coconut cream (and a few other things too I'm sure :)) that he thoroughly enjoyed (much more than on our previous visit)....


Dal Bhat Tarkari Ra Saag

I had a different meal too (so not like me - usually i have the same thing again and again if I am happy the first time) and enjoyed it as much too. I had the Dal Bhat Tarkari Ra Saag for $18.95 which was a vegetarian platter of lentils, vegetable curry, apple yoghurt and shimpu kwha serviced with good ole jasmine rice.... And they even let us take our uneaten portions home.... I love it when a place does that when you have loved the meal!

All this talk about these fantastic meals is making me hungry (despite the fact I JUST ATE... :)) Oh the power of the tastiness of the food from Himalayan Cafe..... I am keen to return yet again... maybe be more organised this time and book for the back seating section :)

I would rate this place 9/10

You can find it:

Himalayan Cafe
640-642 Brunswick Street
New Farm
Phone: 3358 4015

No comments: